Editors are used to edit and create text files. Every editor has some unique feature to offer. Some are open source and some are propritery. GNU/Linux also have editors and GUI editors. ex : nano, vim, gedit, gvim etc. In this section i am going to introduce names of few editors.
Nano editor is a terminal based editor for text. It is very easy to use and user friendly. It is one of most simplest form of editor.It can open , edit, create files. You can explore more about it on man page and on net.
nano [options] [[+line[,column]] file]...
Basic Operations :
1. to open a file - nano [filename]
2. use keyboard to move cursors. Type from keys.
3. to save [ clt + o ]
4. give a name and press enter.
vim( vi improved) editor also a terminal based editor but a vary powerful one. It has very good capability to search text,replace, pattern matching, line refrencing etc. It also allows commands to execute from its editor.It has two modes insert mode and escape mode. Insert mode allow user to edit and type data and in escape mode user can perform other functionality. It is most used editor. You can explore more on man page and net.
vim [options] [filename]
Basic operations :
1. to open a file - vi filename
2. press [ i ] to enter text mode and type text.
3. use [ esc ] to get out of insert mode and use other functionality.
4. use [ : ] to perform in escape mode.
5. use :wq to save file and exit.